Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Review: The House Witch by Katie Schickel

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. I'm not sure what genre that I would classify this as, *maybe* as chick lit. It really captivated my attention and I had a hard time putting this book down.
Allison grew up in the foster system, and is now a stay-at-home mom with 3 children.  She feels so out of place in Monrovia and really just wants to fit in.  You see, the "Glamour Girls" are everything in Monrovia. They sell beauty products, soaps and the like, and have their hands in every single part of life in Monrovia.
Allison, who is actually a witch.. learns that her life and the lives of her children are in danger after her mother passes away. It seems that her mother, who was institutionalized when she was a young girl, was actually protecting her and her family all these years. But now that her mother has passed, they are vulnerable to the evil that has been looking for her all these years.

The Glamour Girls seem to have some power of their own, and when Allison is accepted, she later finds out that once you join the Glamour Girls.. there is no going back!

The only thing that disappointed me about this book, which honestly I completely enjoyed, was the way the ending came about so quickly. The book built up and built up to the eventual ending, but it was rushed, and I was left wondering, wow, that's it?  The (anti)climax of the book came and then within.. 4 pages or so, it's finished. I can only hope *fingers crossed* that the author turns this into a series, and answers some of the questions that were left remaining in my mind.

Absolutely wonderful first novel for this author, and I definitely recommend this to all who enjoy a little magic and mystery in their reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment