Thursday, January 28, 2016

Review: The Secret Life of Winnie Cox by Sharon Maas




First I'd like to thank TBC for giving me an ARC of this book to review for an honest review. 

This isn't normally the type of book that I read, but I jumped at the chance because I've heard some great things about this book. It is a story of forbidden love between the teenage daughter of a wealthy sugar plantation's master and a black teenager who works at the post office.  It captured me from the beginning. I won't lie, I found it difficult to read at times with the treatment of the workers... slaves in everything but name... working and living conditions, the cruelty they endured.. It's very eye opening and thought provoking, to think what it would be like to live in that world. I think it takes a great writer to be able to bring you into their story, feel what the characters feel.. and Sharon Maas does just that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment