Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Review: A Beautiful Family by Marilyn Cohen De Villiers



A Beautiful Family (Silverman Saga, Book 1)
by Marilyn Cohen De Villiers 
  is Available: 


I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased an honest review.   When I was asked to read and review this book, I wasn't sure I was going to like it.  But it really drew me into the story.  

When the story starts out, socialite Brenda Silverman dies suddenly in her home. There was no signs of break-in, no struggle, so of course there will be questions.  Many questions.  Her husband, Alan Silverman, is a pillar in Johannesburg's Jewish community. He is handsome and charming, a former political activist who after fleeing South Africa in the 80's returned to his homeland to help build the nations new democracy.  
Tracy Jacobs is the young reporter who has been assigned to cover the case.  She knows the family, she herself is Jewish, and she went to school with Alan and Brenda's children.  Covering this case puts her in the center of conflict. She must do her job and cover the story, but she is receiving backlash from those in the Jewish community, from her mother telling her every day she must stop this, stop saying such things. Jewish don't do this to their own.  Things like that just don't happen to people like us.  

The story is told in many points of view, from each of the main players in the story. Their story actually begins more than 30 years ago and brings you into the present day. It allows you peek into their world, what they were doing, feeling, what was happening to each of them.  I thought it may get confusing, but as the story was unfolding, it just flowed beautifully. You could see how each character actually interpreted different things in their own way, how 2 people could see the same situation on totally different sides of the spectrum.  You could see each character growing and evolving, what made them into the people they had become.  

The story has some dark moments, and touches on some difficult and uncomfortable topics.  Reading those, yes it was uncomfortable, I am not going to lie. But it's important that things like this are talked about, and not hidden and shoved under the rug.  Abuse happens in our society, in all society, whether it's talked about or not. It makes you think, how many are putting on the 'beautiful family' facade and are living with these horrors? 

I really enjoyed this story and how it was written. I couldn't figure out all of the slang, but it really adds to the characters and story for me. (note there is a glossary, at least in the ebook that does explain a lot! I found that after I'd finished the book)  It brought out a multitude of feelings from me... joy, anger, disgust, sadness, satisfaction.. my emotions were on a roller coaster, and I enjoy book that can do this, that can make me feel for the characters.  It's a book that makes you think, and reflect on our world and what happens in it.   

I would definitely recommend this book, but not to anyone that is younger (language and subject matter is most assuredly an adult topic) or someone who has a lot of difficulty reading about abuse.  It's truly a memorable story, and I am looking forward to reading the next book by this author! 

No comments:

Post a Comment